Thursday, November 10, 2011

At The Movies - Ben & Megan Edition

For the first time Ben told me this year he wanted to watch some scary movies for Halloween. So with careful selection I tried to give him a "tame" mix of monsters, creeps, and UFO's. Of course I chose to share with him some of my "vintage horror/sci-fi" favorites. And the funny thing is, despite a lot of these movies being in black-n-white, Ben absolutely loved them.


CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954) - Ben was a "swamp monster" for Halloween this year, and his costume looked very similar to "The Creature." So one night he put on his costume and we sat down and watched this classic. Both he and Megan were actually on the edge of their seats and kind of shaken up by "the creature." After all these years this movie still holds up. It still provides plenty of thrills and chills. Despite being a little scared Ben loved it.


GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS (1956) - For a while now Ben has been asking me to see a Godzilla movie. There are so many Godzilla movies out there I actually had a hard time deciding which one to show him. So I decided to show him the one that started it all so he could at least get an idea of what Godzilla is all about. He liked it, but I think he'll like some of the others better.


EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956) - One of my all-time favorite 1950's films is WAR OF THE WORLDS. However, I thought that might be a little too intense for Ben, so I chose its look-a-like - EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS. Ben thought this was a cool film, and he wasn't scared at all. He thought the UFO's were pretty cool.


20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954) - This was a different kind of "monster movie." Of course this was the classic Disney version of the Jules Verne novel, but I chose it for...yes...the scene with the giant squid. As you would expect Ben loved this movie. He loved the submarine, the monster squid, the funny seal, everything.

No comments: