Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"I am from Switzerland. And I am here practicing the English."

Over here in Switzerland I continue to go to my German classes once a week.  Back in January when we first moved here I knew "Guten Tag," and "Auf wiedersehen" and that was about it.  Nowadays I can manage pretty well ordering and interacting with a waiter at a restaurant, and I can even make a little small talk now with neighbors (usually about the weather.)  So my German has come a long way in one year.  Still though, no matter how hard I try I still run into those "lost in translation" moments where I look like an idiot.  That got me to thinking of the running gag I used to see on a show called "Trigger Happy TV."

Trigger Happy TV was a British show that used to air in the U.S. on Comedy Central back in the early 2000's.  The main idea behind the show was to show public reaction to practical jokes and embarrassing situations.  Think of it as an edgier version of Candid Camera.

Anyway, there was a running gag called "I am from Switzerland," and watching it again over here I find it even funnier than before.  Now that I'm over here trying to speak German I can totally relate to it.  I'm sure there have been times when I said something that was totally off the wall.

Anyway, the clips are below.  Not sure if you'll find them funny but I do.  Just remember...the main actor is not actually from Switzerland (he's an English actor) and the people he's talking to have no idea they're on camera.







No comments: