Monday, June 29, 2009

Beat It...Just Beat It


You know in the movie TOY STORY, when Mr. Potato Head says "Did you all take stupid pills this morning?" Well...that's what I've been thinking with all these media personalities, fans, and news agencies talking about the death of Michael Jackson. Enough already! All weekend it seemed like every music video channel had some sort of tribute going on. There were also tributes and "look-backs" on an array of 24 hour news channels...showing fans all over the world in grief over the death of Jackson. I just have to scratch my head. Have people forgotten already who this guy was and what he was accused of doing?

It really is true how death can glorify a celebrity...especially someone who's as big as Jackson globally. Don't get me wrong...I was a fan of him along with the rest of the world (back in the 80's). But as he got older he got weirder and weirder...and outright criminal (allegedly). Yeah sure...the guy used plastic surgery like he was hooked on heroin. But the legal problems. Holy cow! How many times was he accused of child molestation? Some he was acquitted for, but others he settled out of court. You know what they say...where there's smoke.

I have to admit, when I heard about Jackson's death I thought "Wow. Michael Jackson huh?" Then after about 10 minutes I moved on. I thought most of the world had moved on. Wasn't Jackson the source of endless jokes by comedians...and even journalists? Amazing how someone's death can make people forget.

No comments: