Saturday, January 29, 2011

Angry Birds & Tying Shoes


I came across an article this week titled "More Children Playing Angry Birds Than Learning To Tie Shoes." So since my kids love playing "Angry Birds" on my iPhone I felt compelled to read the article.
The focus of the article is a recent report released by internet security company AVG which focuses on the increasing impact of technology on early-childhood development. The study finds that 17% of 2-3 year olds, and 21% of 4-5 year olds are able to play with a smartphone application. On the flip side of that, only 10% of 3 year olds can tie their own shoes.
Now I fully admit I let my 3 and 6 year olds play games on my iPhone. I've downloaded several games that are aimed at their ages and skill levels, and they play the games just fine. I also admit that Ben just recently mastered tying his own shoes, and Megan is no where close. So does this mean I'm a bad parent and I'm focusing on the wrong thing? I don't think so.
I like the fact my kids have their hands on the latest technology (no pun intended.) Lots of kids their ages know how to play the Wii, Play Station, Smartphones, etc. It's pretty normal these days for small children to be "tech savvy." Just like TV, I think the iPhone is fine...in moderation of course.
And as for the whole "shoe tying thing," yes...maybe parents are focusing more on technology these days rather than basic skills. But I think the popular use of "velcro straps" on shoes is the culprit for kids learning to tie their shoes later. Our pediatrician told me recently she's seeing kids come in these days in the 3rd and 4th grade who still struggle to tie their shoes..thanks to the "velcro-strap" shoes they wear.
Anyway, thought this was an interesting subject.

No comments: