Sunday, January 16, 2011

"The Speed Devil"

For the past 2 weeks Ben and I have been working on our first ever "Pinewood Derby Car" for Cub Scouts. The photos below show how the car has progressed from a block of wood to an actual racing car. At one time it was going to be blue, then it was going to be green, and it eventually turned out to be red and black. Ben designed the car and helped with a lot of the assembly. He really enjoyed the experience. In fact, he told me he was sad today because we're all done building the car. I tried to tell him the "fun part" is ahead with all the races. Anyway, we've made numerous trips to the Michael's store for various supplies and things, and we've been learning all the "ins and outs" with help from the Pinewood Derby handbook. It's been quite a project, but I think we did a great job for our first time doing this. I'll be honest, I don't expect us to win anything at the derby next week, but that's fine. I just hope Ben is able to win a race or two (and I hope the car actually rolls decently...HA!) Anyway, Ben nicknamed the car "The Speed Devil." Win or lose...it was a fun experience to do together. With one of the leftover pieces of wood we actually made Megan her own car...so she'll have something to play around with at the derby as well. Her car is called...as you would expect..."Princess."









No comments: