Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day!

Well...as you all probably saw on the news today we got hammered by that winter storm that flew through the plains and the midwest. It arrived last night at about 10pm and it stayed over us most of the day today. Overall, I'd say we got about 11 inches, which really isn't much. But what compounded everything was the blowing snow. So it was definitely a blizzard. The snow was piled up against the porch door this morning. Glacier had a tricky time going outside (as you'll soon see.) For those of you who don't know a "blizzard" is not necessarily a lot of snow. It's simply "blinding and blowing snow," and that's what we had here. I had some snow drifts that were up to my waist. My snow blower was completely engulfed when I plowed through. It was crazy. In all our years here in Michigan I've never seen it this bad. We didn't get hit as hard as Chicago and Detroit, but it was still significant. Anyway, the schools ended up closing today so the kids enjoyed a snow day. They of course had a blast playing in the piles of snow. One of the highlights today was we made "snow caves" in some of the drifts. It was our first time ever making one and they worked pretty good. Ben's cave was big enough for me to crawl into and I was surprised how warm it got inside. Pretty cool. At one point this afternoon I even saw some neighbors "snowshoeing" down our street. It was pretty funny. Another funny thing was hearing all the stupid names the local media gave the storm. I heard "Blizzard Of Oz," "The Winter Wallop," "The Groundhog Blizzard," and "Snowpocalypse." But hey...today the groundhog said spring is going to come early this year. So I have that to hold onto I guess. HA!

This was around midnight last night when the storm was just blowing in. You can clearly see all the blowing snow everywhere.














No comments: