Monday, February 7, 2011

Some Thoughts On The Super Bowl


Another Super Bowl has come and gone, and I thought I'd share some of my observations on the media event.

Well, Jerry Jones and the NFL didn't get their attendance record. They missed the record by 766 seat. The failed attempt was due to weather of course, but also due to a large number of refunds that were issued at the last minute (thanks to problems with some temporary seating.)


One of the best moments of the evening for me had to be seeing "Slash" rise up from the stage at halftime. I love Slash! Of course one of the worst moments had to be seeing Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas singing "Sweet Child O Mine" next to Slash. Blasphemy! Sheer Blasphemy!


Another great moment was seeing Roger Staubach present the Lombardi Trophy at the end. Staubach is my all-time favorite Dallas Cowboy. That was cool.


The strangest thing I saw had to be Jerry Jones sitting next to George W. Bush...who was sitting next to Laura Bush...who was sitting next to John Madden...who was sitting next to Condoleezza Rice. What in the world? Who came up with that seating chart? I'd love to hear that conversation.


And oh yeah...there was a game wasn't there? As far as the game I was so bored with it. For most of the game the Steelers were trailing by double digits, so I guess the game lacked a lot of excitement (at least until the end.) Last year's game seemed a lot more exciting.


Then there were the commercials of course. I thought I'd list my favorites.

Here's my favorite - The Volkswagen "Vader" spot. The kid in this spot is perfect. Makes me laugh everytime.


Here's my second favorite - The Bridgestone "Reply All" spot. Haven't we all wanted to do this at one time or another?


Here's some other ones I liked. This one is the NFL TV "Best Fans Ever" spot. This was Jenny's favorite:


This is the Chrysler "Imported From Detroit" spot featuring Eminem. The ad had me right away, and I loved the buildup at the beginning. But once we saw Eminem behind the wheel that ruined it for me. This could have been great. If only they had just let him drive and not speak.


And though there were a lot of Pepsi and Doritos spots, this one made me laugh - The Doritos "House Sitting" spot:


And here are some of the worst. I could list the Justin Bieber/Ozzy Osbourne spot for Best Buy, but that would be too easy. So here goes. First off, my absolute least favorite was the Chevy Cruise spot about "Facebook." This has got to be the dumbest idea for a car accessory I've ever heard:


Then there's the Budweiser "Wild West" spot. (Does this make any sense? Why Elton John's "Tiny Dancer?")


Then there's this ad for Motorola featuring their new tablet. In the ad they portray the world as a Orwellian society filled with "Apple Using Clones." And since I am one of those "Apple Using Clones" I was offended. So there!

No comments: