Thursday, March 3, 2011

At The Movies - Ben & Megan Edition


GNOMEO & JULIET - This is a retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" told with (clearing throat) garden gnomes. Ben was interested in seeing this so I took him. I don't think either one of us was expecting much. Ben thought it was okay, but I don't think I ever heard him laugh. As for me this was one of the worst kid's movies I've ever seen. Not only is it not funny, but the movie is filled with Elton John references (he's one of the producers actually.) The movie is just plain weird. I wanted to walk out but then I would have been arrested for child abandonment.


YOGI BEAR - There's nothing special here. It's your typical Yogi Bear story, only this time with CG and live actors. To be honest the movie is pretty good...for what it is. Ben and Megan loved it and they laughed throughout. As for me...entertain my kids and keep it clean - that's all I ask from a kid's movie. This movie did all that. So I can't believe I'm saying this but...for a kid's movie I recommend it.


THE SHAGGY DOG - I've been on a kick lately of renting old Disney "family" films from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The ones I grew up with. Ben and Megan love watching all of them. It's surprising they still hold up after all these years. The kids loved this one (about a boy who turns into a dog.) Talking dogs? What kid wouldn't love that?


DESPICABLE ME - Steve Carell is the voice of "Gru," an evil scientist bent on taking over the world...from his home in the suburbs. Gru's world turns upside down when he adopts three orphan girls who show him how to love and be good. The animation is crisp, the movie is fun, and the characters are warm. But for some reason I never heard the kids laugh once during the movie. They even watched it a second time and had the same results. The movie is entertaining, but it falls short of Pixar quality.


THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE - Another classic disney film from 1978. This movie is about...well...you know. Anyway, the kids loved this movie, and they laughed a lot. Boy, back in the day Disney had the perfect formula for kid's movies.


THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG - A Disney film from 1975, the film stars Don Knotts and Tim Conway as a pair of 2 bumbling outlaws. I hadn't seen this one since I was a kid probably, and for the most part it still holds up. But I forgot Knotts and Conway are really only in half of the movie. The rest of the movie features a rich tycoon played by Bill Bixby, and...wait for it...3 orphans. It's still a good movie, and the kids liked it. But it's not as great as the other ones detailed above.

No comments: