Monday, May 2, 2011

The Big 4-0!

Well...it's official! I'm 40. (Wow! Did I just write that?) Still hasn't sunk in yet. But what would could have been a sad weekend for me was instead the best birthday I've ever had. Here's how the weekend went down.
* It all started Thursday night when all of us went out to dinner at our favorite pizza place. Ben said he had to go to the bathroom so he left the table. When he returned he was followed by my parents. Jenny evidently conspired with them to fly up here and surprise me. So that was a fun surprise.
* On Saturday our soccer team got their first win of the season, so that was cool. Then Jenny and I had an old fashioned "dinner and a movie" date night that evening.
* Then Sunday morning we kicked off my birthday with a great breakfast. Then my parents and Jenny both gave me "photo books" of old pictures of me and my life. That was fun. The kids just laughed and laughed at all my old baby pictures. Then in the afternoon my dad and I took the kids to a movie ("Rio".) And after that things got interesting.
* So after the movie I started driving home. I then got a call from the house asking me where I was. I said I was about 2 minutes away. I was then told to make a detour and "go get some bags of ice." So I did my errand and then finally arrived at the house. When I walked in I discovered about 20 or so adults and kids in our living room shouting "surprise." It was pretty funny. Evidently Jenny also conspired with our scout friends and soccer friends to come to our house and throw me a surprise party. So we had both scout boys and soccer boys running around the house. The funny thing was Ben couldn't help but think it was a party for him. He practically had every friend imaginable playing at his house. We had Q'Doba and Jimmie Johns, and Jenny ordered me a "super-hero" cake, and we had all sorts of snacks and treats. The kids even got to knock around a pinata. And best of all...we had some of our nicest weather to date (Jenny was really nervous about what kind of weather we were going to get.)
Anyway, so that was my birthday weekend. Jenny really outdid herself. In all of our years of marriage she had never "surprised" me with anything like this, so it was pretty fun. It was by far the best birthday (and birthday party) I've ever had.
























No comments: