Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Final Thoughts


So that was our trip to Dubai.  We were only there for 2 full days but the trip was really memorable.  It's a 6 hour flight to Dubai from Zurich, and it's a 2 hour time difference, so it took a little work to go there, but it was so worth it.  We had a fun time.  The kids said it was one of their favorite cities that we've seen over here.  I've told many of you that during our 2 1/2 years over here I still find myself "pinching" myself at certain moments.  Climbing the Tower of Pisa, hiking in the shadow of the Matterhorn, watching the kids run around the ruins of Pompeii, etc.  I still feel like we're in a dream sometimes.  Well, I had that same feeling when I watched my kids running around and playing in the sand in the Arabian Desert.  Just couldn't get my head around that.  Just the thought of how far from home these kids have traveled still blows my mind.  Anyway, we loved Dubai, and we would definitely like to go back someday.

One side note - The service industry in Dubai is first class.  Everywhere we went we found the workers happy to help you and always smiling.  I guess it was noticeable to us because it's the total opposite of what you find in Europe, where the service industry is not very good.  Well, on our flight back to Zurich two stewardesses came up to Megan and started dressing her up in their uniform and taking her picture.  It was pretty funny.  Just one of many small gestures over the weekend that didn't go unnoticed by us.




No comments: