Tuesday, March 25, 2008

At the movies


INVASION - This is a remake of the classic "INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS," the classic story of a virus outbreak that is infecting the entire world, and turning everyone into alien entities. For a rental I thought this was actually pretty decent, but I'm glad I didn't pay theater money for it. It's mildly entertaining. There are some fun scenes that have some chills. Overall, it's nothing special...and nothing you haven't seen before. But again...it was good enough for a rental.

GRINDHOUSE - Billed as a double feature, this is actually two movies in one. Both movies are shot and edited in the mold of the old drive-in horror films that were popular in the 70's. These films were nicknamed "Grindhouse" films because they were churned out one after the other...with little focus on story or budget. Both movies here are meant to be fun, and not taken seriously. The first feature, "Planet Terror," was directed by Robert Rodriguez. I know it sounds very 90's of me to say this, but I like Rodriguez as a filmmaker. I respect the fact that he shoots, directs, edits, and even scores. "Death Proof" was directed by Quentin Tarantino. I know this won't sound very 90's of me, but I can't stand Tarantino anymore. I remember loving PULP FICTION, but now he's a one trick pony, and let's face it...we've seen the trick already. But overall both movies here are fun to watch. The action/horror scenes are both purposely campy and over-the-top. There's even some trailers spliced in between for some fake movies that were pretty funny to watch. Both directors basically have one trick up their sleeve...so you know what you're getting here.

HARRY POTTER & THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX - I'm probably not the right person to ask about this movie. Jenny and I have read all the Potter books, and this book was my LEAST favorite. I read the whole thing, but I couldn't wait until I was through with it. I guess it's not bad, but it's kind of boring. There's not a lot that happens here. Sure the effects are good, and the ending offers the usual confrontation with Voldemor....(uh, I won't say it). But for the most part the movie is just kind of slow and tedious. I would recommend it only for those who are trying to follow the story. The next two books (the last two) should make for better films.

THE LIVES OF OTHERS - Here is a German film set in East Berlin in the early 80's. We follow a Stasi agent as he spies on a playwright and his lover who is an actress. The agent suspects that the playwright may be writing anti-communist material, so he begins monitoring the couple's daily comings and goings. This is a very good film. The pace of the film may be be slow for some, but the pacing is actually perfect. You just sit back and soak in the espionage and atmosphere. I find 80's East Berlin fascinating, and this movie gives you a great feel for the tension in the city during that time.

THE HOST - Here is an old fashioned monster movie from Asia, but this time it's not from Tokyo. It's from South Korea. "THE HOST" is simply about a giant tadpole/monster thing that terroizes Korea. Yes it's cheesy...and yes it's rediculous. But sometimes it's okay for a movie to be fun and nothing more. This is one of those films. My only complaint was that it was about 30 minutes too long. I got kind of bored with it near the end. But overall it's fun.

RESCUE DAWN - My brother-in-law got me this movie for Christmas. I really enjoyed it. It's basically the story of a man who is trapped behind enemy lines during the Vietnam war and how he tries to escape his captors. The cinematography is just gorgeous in some of the scenes here. Very moving story that is definately worth watching. Thanks Mat!

BLUE IN THE FACE - One of my all-time favorite films is "SMOKE." Okay, now that you're through scratching your head I'll go on. No, seriously...stop laughing. I don't know why...it just is. "SMOKE" has always connected with me, and I've always dreamed of writing something that would be similar to it in style. So here we are with "BLUE IN THE FACE," the sequel to "SMOKE." Here we see a few of the same characters from the first one, (Harvey Keitel, etc.) but most of the movie is filled with new faces. Strike 1 for me. Unlike "SMOKE," here we don't follow a story at all. It's just one New Yorker talking to another about this and that. Not that I mind that sometimes, but here it just didn't interest me. Strike 2. And finally most of the movie talks about how great Brooklyn is, how people from Brooklyn are the best, and how everyone should wish they lived in Brooklyn. Strike 3. Overall, I wanted to like this movie, but I just can't. After seeing the greatness of "SMOKE," I was really disappointed here.

No comments: