Monday, August 25, 2008

The Results Are In

For the past several weeks I've been trying to watch my gas intake on my car, trying to instead take the kids in the bike or waiting to group my errands together. Kind of like my own little experiment. I wasn't going for miles per gallon or anything like that. I simply wanted to see how long I could go without having to fill up my tank.

So I tried to take the kids around in the bike trailer as much as I could. My objective was to try to make at least one day a week a "non-car day." I figured if I could shave off a day a week from the car that would push me 4 extra days past my usual fill up. Sometimes I was even able to do 2 "non-car days" a week.

Anyway, the results are in and my little experiment has come to a close.

FILL UP DAY - July 21st
FILL UP DAY - Aug 25th
TOTAL - About 36 days without a fill up

At today's prices it takes about $70 bucks for a full tank of gas in my car. So by making a conscious effort to be "gas smart" I averaged about $14 a week for gas over a 5 week timeframe. Granted, we were in Austin for 5 days during that time. But if you take those 5 days away I still made it over 30 days. Not bad.

Now if only it didn't get cold here in the winter. Then I could keep this up month after month.
But seriously. Just imagine what kind of impact we could make on energy prices if we all did something like this.

No comments: