Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricanes...smurricanes!

It's been 3 years now since we went through the stressful hurricane season of 2005. Yet as the years roll by Jenny and I still get concerned when we see hurricanes on the news headed toward Louisiana and Texas...even living all the way up here in Michigan.
Here's a picture of the Galveston beach when we were there earlier this year.
I was telling Jenny last night that when I see on the news a hurricane headed toward a place we've lived at, visited, or frequented I still get nervous...especially when we have family, friends, and coworkers in those areas. When Gustav rolled through Louisiana we were listening all day to the online stream of WWL 870 AM out of New Orleans for continuous coverage and reports. Then all day yesterday we were listening online to KTRH 740 AM out of Houston for reports and updates. Even last night when Ike was headed toward Houston Jenny and I spent all night watching the news. It was crazy seeing reporters in downtown Houston, at Surfside, Clute, and Freeport...all areas that we've spent a lot of time at because of family, and the Dow facilities around there. I think I stayed up till about 2 a.m. last night waiting to see what was going to happen at landfall.
I swear, once you go through a hurricane you still get that nervous feeling about all the others that follow. Especially in areas you used to call home.

No comments: