Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mount Rainier NP - Final Thoughts

Mount Rainier was a beautiful park to visit, even despite all the cloudiness and rain. (Hey, it's the Pacific Northwest. Of course you're going to get some rain right?) The campsite we had was great, one of the best I've seen in a park. The first night we camped it got down to the mid-40's at night, but I felt warm enough and actually slept pretty good. The second night dropped down to around 37 and I admit it was very uncomfortable. I remember waking up around 1:30 in the morning shivering, so I had to add some more layers to my clothes and sleeping bag. Because of the weather we spent a lot of time at the Paradise Visitor Center which sits up high near the base of Rainier. It was nice. We had several meals at the grill, and spent a lot of time drying out and warming up.
Overall, we had a great time. The parks of Washington are great to visit because of their proximity to a major airport. We have now visited Olympic NP and Mount Rainier, and we have really enjoyed both. It will be interesting to visit Mount Rainier again in the future. After having only seen the mountain for about 10 minutes on our first day, the park will look entirely different to me with Rainier in full view (hopefully). Yes indeed...I will definately be back someday.

No comments: