Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Downsizing Detroit


I came across this article today and it reminded me of an ongoing topic up here in Michigan - How do you revitalize Detroit?
The article talks about a growing idea around here about tearing down old vacant buildings all around Detroit and replacing them with green space and open areas. Sounds nice at first. But now there's talk about possibly tearing down entire blighted neighborhoods and replacing them with farmlands and countrysides.
I find it very interesting how the unimaginable has now become a probability. Of course these plans are still in their development stages, and no one knows right now how these redevelopments would be paid for. But there is a growing concern that this plan might be Detroit's best option when it comes to rising from the ashes.
For those of you who don't know Detroit is home to the most vacant buildings in a major city in the United States. When we drive down there from time to time it's like driving through a ghost town in some spots. Granted there are still "pockets" of life and nicer neighborhoods, but there's no doubt the city is a shadow of its former self.
For the most part I really like the idea of somehow "greening" Detroit and making it smaller. At one time Detroit was in the top 5 in population, jobs, and growth. But for the past two decades the city has experienced a slow exodus of workforce, jobs, and population. And of course what's left behind are vacant homes and empty commercial property. So I'm "mostly" in favor of "downsizing Detroit."
Now you may ask "why mostly?" Why am I not all the way on this one? Well...there's something very unsettling to me about the idea of someone knocking on your door and telling you you have to move because your neighborhood is "unattractive." If the home is vacant that's one thing, but some of Detroit's most unattractive homes are currently filled with low income families. I'm sure many of them can't afford to move or simply don't want to, and I'm not sure I would blame them. I know I would have a hard time moving if I was being forced to. So much for the dream of homeownership.
Anyway, I find this topic really fascinating. Just wanted to share with it you all.

No comments: