Monday, January 28, 2008

Movie Time



CLOVERFIELD - Well, I saw this over the weekend. I really liked it. It's a very different kind of monster movie, and gives you a perspective you haven't experienced before. Granted, the first 15 minutes are brutal to get through. It was like watching an episode of "The O.C." (uh...not that I would know.) But once the monster appears the movie really takes off. It's basically a monster movie where this big sea monster takes over New York. But you see the movie through the eyes of 4 twenty something's who are trying to evacuate the city after spending an evening at a party. They have a video camera with them and everything you see on the screen is what they are "taping." So the whole movie is the "shaky cam" technique. I didn't get sick, but there were times I was getting a headache. There were a few parts that made me think "why would they be shooting this?" (The guy is getting bitten by a huge bug-like thing and he's still holding the camera?) I thought maybe the gimmick might be more believable if they were a news crew trying to get the whole story documented for the evening news. But anyway, the style still works. At the end of the movie it seemed like half of the people in the theater hated it. I heard all these people at the end verbally complaining about the movie and outright upset about the ending. I thought it was a fun movie, but it's not for everybody.

No comments: