Friday, April 25, 2014

Greece - Day 7

On our first full day on Santorini we rented a car and drove south to "Red Beach."  I say "car," but it was more like a "rent-a-wreck."  (I miss driving American cars.)  Anyway, getting back to "Red Beach."  Much of the soil on the island is volcanic, so that's the reason for "Red Beach's" red soil.  Nearby are the ruins of Akrotiri.  The ancient village was part of the Minoan culture from Crete, and today it's a major archaeological site. The village was abandoned, and then covered with volcanic ash.  It's a really interesting site.  Some say the village even inspired the legend of Atlantis.  After that we drove to Perissa, where we had lunch and the kids got to play on the beach.  You'll notice in the pictures all the black sand, which is also from all the volcanic soil.  It's nice to lay on because the black sand absorbs the sun's heat.  It's like laying on a big heating pad.  Then finally the day ended with me getting a pedicure (something I've never done in my life.)  The kids wanted me to try the "fish pedicure," which is where you stick your feet in a tank and the fish inside eat the dead skin off your feet.  It was crazy, but the kids got a kick out of watching me squirm.






















No comments: