Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Camping We Will Go


One thing Jenny and I have noticed living here in Michigan over the years is how most people "camp" around here in RV's and trailer campers. We've always camped in tents everywhere we've lived, yet for some reason that's seen as unusual around here. A lot of people ask us "you camp in a tent?" - like we're poor or destitute. Jenny was telling her co-workers about our camping trip last weekend and the first thing they asked her was "you camped - in a tent?"
Everywhere else we've ever lived it's been different. In Texas and Louisiana I'd say the ratio might be 1 to 1 with tent vs. camper. In Colorado it was more like 5 to 1 with tents being the majority (unless you were at a campground with several trailer sites for tourists.) But for some reason here in Michigan most people "camp" in an RV or trailer. Now someday I might be an RV guy when I'm older, but not now. And as for trailers Jenny and I sometimes ponder the idea of getting a "pop-up" camper. So the truth is I've got nothing against campers and trailers. We're just always surprised how one-sided it is around here.
My theory is it's a bi-product of the "car culture" around here. Whenever Michiganians go up north in the summer they usually take along their 4-wheelers and fishing boats. In the winter they take along their snowmobiles. All their outdoor playthings are motorized around here...so I guess it only makes sense that their "tents" would be motorized as well.

No comments: