Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Speed Racer

I finally rented some of the old Speed Racer cartoons for Ben to watch. He's been bugging me about watching Speed Racer ever since he first saw the commercial for the movie that came out this summer. So I went ahead and rented a disc from Netflix and we've been watching some of the episodes. It's fun. Man, I loved this show as a kid. He seems to like it too. He really likes the Mach 5 obviously, and he thinks Speed Racer is pretty cool. And of course he thinks Chim Chim the monkey is hilarious.

The thing about Speed Racer though is you have to be careful with some of the episodes. One of the criticisms about Speed Racer back in the day was the cartoon violence. Granted, we never see anyone get killed on camera. But certain events happen at times where someone gets shot or crashes off camera and you never see them again. People commented about that when I watched the cartoon back in the 70's.

So before I showed any of the episodes to Ben I scanned through the disc and found the episodes that were appropriate, and found the ones that weren't. So we watch maybe half of the episodes that are on the disc. We'll watch this for a while and then maybe rent something else when he starts to lose interest.

No comments: