Sunday, May 16, 2010

That Boy Of Mine


Near the end of Kelvyn's birthday party yesterday I witnessed Ben playing with Kelvyn's little sister Karalyn. Karalyn is a very sweet girl, but I hardly ever see her smile around strangers. But yesterday I witnessed my son playing with her in a corner of the yard...and Karalyn was smiling and laughing. It was the only time during the party I saw her smile. Ben has always played well with Megan so I shouldn't be surprised. But still...it's nice to see when it's someone else's child. He has a gentle and calming side that I think smaller children respond to.
Also, during the party I heard a boy ask for some snacks by saying "gimmee this" and "gimmee that." Then at the same table I overheard my son say "may I please have such and such" and "thank you."
Man, I've said it before and I'll say it again. As a parent you think most of the time your kids don't listen to you, and that everything you tell them about being good goes in one ear and out the other. But then when you least expect it you witness your son displaying the best in companionship and manners. It just made my day.

No comments: