Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Strikers - Game 3

Yesterday the kids and I took a break from the garage sale and we went to our 3rd soccer game. It was a beautiful day for soccer, and the game was their best one yet as well. Since I was watching Megan I coached from the sidelines and let Sean direct the kids on the field. I tell you, for 6 year olds the game was pretty exciting. Both teams were pretty evenly matched, and all the parents were into it. In fact, for one quarter we couldn't get the ball out of our own zone and we were playing defense the entire time. And the amazing thing about that is Ben stepped up and played his best game ever. For the past few games Ben has started to get a knack for playing defense, and yesterday he singlehandedly kept us in the game at times. Everyone on the sidelines were taking notice and cheering him on as he kept kicking the ball away from the opposing players. All the parents were laughing at me on the sideline because I was jumping up and down and cheering him on. I won't lie when I say I get very into these games sometimes. As a parent I cheer on Ben and want to see him do well of course. But as the coach I cheer all the kids when I see them play great, make a great kick, or score. At some point during the second quarter when the opposing teams kept trying to score and Ben kept kicking it away I said something out loud like "I'm going to have a heart attack here," and everyone laughed. The trials of being a coach AND a parent I guess.









No comments: