Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The End x 2

In 2 nights two legendary shows (and favorites of mine) came to an end.

Like most people Jenny and I caught the series finale of LOST the other night. Overall I'd say we were a little disappointed with the final episode. The final explanations (or lack there of) left more to be desired. In fact, when it was all said and done I was left feeling more confused than ever. But while the finale didn't live up to my expectations, I'd say overall this was one of the best TV shows ever made. Each episode was cinematic and fascinating to watch. What starts out as a show about a group of plane crash survivors on a deserted island soon expands into a universe of time travel, science fiction, jungle adventure, monsters, cult societies, psychic powers, etc. Then by the time the show's finale came around Sunday night the storyline was mimicking a biblical epic of good versus evil and the end of the world. While I do believe the writers were basically making it up as they went along, I have a great deal of respect for the writers and producers of the show. Week after week they were trying to create a show that felt like a summer blockbuster, turning your living room into a movie theater. The show was entertaining and kept you constantly guessing and analyzing. I often felt like I was "studying" each episode as opposed to simply watching. I recommend this show to everyone I know (I'm looking at you Mom & Dad.) If you have never taken the time to check out this show I beg you to go out and rent Season 1 and give it a try. The bar has been raised. You will never look at network television the same way again.

There was a time when 24 was my favorite show. In fact, I can remember a time when I said "24 is one of the best TV shows ever made." But over the last 8 seasons this show has done nothing but deteriorate. This was the show that helped start the whole "continuing storyline" craze that's so prevalent on TV these days. Jack Bauer is a rouge U.S. agent for the "Counter Terrorism Unit," (CTU) a government security agency protecting the country from terrorism. Each season was basically 1 full day of Jack chasing down terrorists and saving the world. When this show began you were entertained by the high octane action and the plot twists and turns. But over time the show traveled a downward spiral into mediocrity and then eventually settled into ridiculousness. Instead of expanding the shows characters and storylines the writers oftentimes rehashed old characters and storylines, which soon became tiresome. Throw in a lot of bad acting from key characters and you have the makings of a one trick pony who never learned a second trick. So if the show quickly soured then why did I keep watching you ask? (Sigh) I wish I had an answer for that. I don't know why. I guess over time I grew to ignore its many flaws and just take it for what it was...a "soap opera" about spies and agents. If I were to recommend this show to anyone I would suggest checking out Seasons 1 through 3. After that it's up to you.

No comments: