Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Down In The Treme


Jenny and I just got finished watching the first season of "TREME," a series on HBO about New Orleans in the days after hurricane Katrina. The show was created by David Simon, the man behind the incredible crime-drama "THE WIRE," so we obviously had high expectations for "TREME." But after having watched the first season I would say I was disappointed. A majority of the storylines follow local musicians who try to make a living in a town picking up the pieces after the storm, so there's lots of jazz music throughout each episode. That part of it I really liked actually. The music is obviously the heart and soul of the city, and the show does a great job of respecting jazz and its heritage. Like I said, I love that.
On the other hand the show can tend to be very preachy at times, not only about the storm but how the city is perceived (or looked down upon) by the rest of the country. Whether it is intentional or not I'm not sure exactly, but the bitterness is there. But what annoyed me the most is also the most ironic - the show tries too hard to be New Orleans. Despite what the producers will have you believe not everyone in New Orleans walks around all day in funeral parades and second lines. They don't always eat red beans and rice, shrimp gumbo, and po' boys. And most of all - Mardi Gras is not a party that last all year long. (I swear...Mardi Gras has been focused on for about half the season now.) The show has already been renewed for a second season, and I am very interested to see how the show develops. My guess is if they focus more on the music the show will be better off. Yes I was disappointed in the first season, but there's lots of potential here for something better, so I'm still hopeful. For the most part "TREME" is the most accurate show about New Orleans that you'll find anywhere, both on television and on film. I'll be patiently waiting for season 2.

No comments: