Tuesday, September 27, 2011

At The Movies


BREAKING BAD: SEASON 3 - The adventures of Walt and Jesse continue in the 3rd season of this great show. Walt and Jesse produce the best crystal meth in the southwest and everyone from the feds to the Mexican cartels want it. The writing in each episode is absolutely perfect, with a great mix of drama and wit. Jenny and I are such big fans of this show. It just gets better and better with each new season. I have to admit, when each episode comes to an end I get a little sad. I just don't want this show to stop. It's that good. If you aren't watching this show right now on AMC do yourself a favor and start watching Season 1. You will be rewarded.


CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM: SEASON 7 - You might remember I've praised this show in the past. Larry David (the former writer and creator of SEINFELD) stars as himself in a "fictionalized" account of his life. The writing and tone in each season is right out of Seinfeld (except for the language of course.) If you ever liked SEINFELD you would love this show. In fact, I would say this season (Season 7) is the best one yet. The entire season follows Larry as he tries to put together a "Seinfeld Reunion" show for NBC. The entire SEINFELD cast is here throughout the entire season...right up to the finale where we see what a "Seinfeld Reunion" show would have looked like. This is by far the best season yet for this great show.


SUCKER PUNCH - This is a movie I'm not sure I liked or disliked. Even after a lengthy discussion about it with a friend of mine I'm still undecided. In short, the story is about a young girl nicknamed "Baby Doll." She is institutionalized by her abusive stepfather. Trying to cope with her new disturbing world she retreats to an "alternative reality" where she begins to envision a plan that will help her escape the mental facility. Okay...so that's the story. Sounds simple enough right? Hold on there buddy - this film is very confusing. Throughout the film you are left wondering "what is going on here?" The story is vague and the acting isn't that great. Yet despite all its flaws the film has moments of brilliance. The best scenes come when Baby Doll enters her "alternative universe." During each imaginary experience the film becomes an energy filled music video bursting with eye candy and rocking music. All the imaginary scenes are the strength of the film. So because of this I was constantly going back and forth on this film throughout the entire movie. First I hated it...then I liked it...and so on. Anyway, I'm still confused by this film but in the end I kind of liked it.


TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON - This is the 3rd installment of this hugely successful (and highly juvenile) franchise. In short Transformers are giant robots that turn into cars and machines and fight each other for supremacy. The only reason I saw this was...well...I had a free ticket. There's that but I also heard the 3D in this movie was exceptional, so out of curiosity I checked it out. Well...the movie is as loud and pointless as its predecessors. No surprise. But what did surprise me was the use of 3D. This was one of the few times where I enjoyed watching a movie in 3D. In fact, I would say the 3D makes the film better (if that's possible.) Anyway, this movie is pointless, but the 3D is actually pretty fun.


THE TOWN - Ben Affleck directs and stars in this drama about a bank robber who falls for a girl - the same girl he held hostage at one of his earlier heists. The two begin a romance as he tries to hide his true identity from her. As the relationship develops Affleck's co-conspirators start to question him on his relationship as they risk being caught. This is one of those Boston-based movies that's filled with a lot of bad Boston accents. Yet I was surprised that I actually liked this movie. Pretty good for a rental.


SUPERHEROES - I saw this documentary recently on HBO. It's about real people who dress up as super heroes and go out into the night fighting real crime and helping people. I thought this documentary would show these people in a humorous light and we would all laugh at them. They kind of do that in the beginning. But by the end of the film you begin to feel a little respect for these people. Yes they're weird, and no they're not stopping criminal masterminds. But there's nothing wrong with anyone simply trying to help other people in need - even if it's giving food and water to the homeless on a hot afternoon. Pretty good film.

No comments: