Wednesday, September 28, 2011

From The Shelf



WORLD WAR Z - Written by Max Brooks this is the story of a worldwide war between humans and zombies. Now I'm not much of a zombie guy when it comes to horror, but I had heard great things about this book so I decided to check it out. And man...am I so glad that I did. I know we've all seen a plethora of zombie stories in books and movies involving "a worldwide pandemic" and hordes of shuffling zombies chasing the last survivors. This book isn't really like that. What's refreshing about this book is how it's written. It's written in the voice of a journalist who is hired to document a worldwide zombie pandemic that happened years ago. So by the time you start reading the first page you already know how the story ends - the humans won. That's not the point here and that's what I loved about this book. The entire story is made up of a series of interviews with survivors and government officials and military personnel from around the world who give their testimonials and share their experiences handling the zombie outbreak. So the book reads more like a historical account than a narrative story. The great thing about this book is even though you know it's about zombies, you feel that if there ever was a "zombie pandemic" this book is exactly how things would go down all over the world. The way governments would turn on their citizens, how survivors would turn into pockets of resistance, and how the medical world would be clueless, etc. It's all totally believable. That's what makes this book so great. After I finished this book I gave it to a friend of mine. I always like the idea of giving a good story to someone, and this is one of those books. This was a great read!

No comments: